Living Streets Ongoing Progress Report
Hello friends of the Living Streets program!
Thank you all so much for all of your hard work last year with the Living Streets program! I just wanted to send you all an update on how things are coming along in 2014, as well as some details about the progress that has been made since our last report to City of Surrey staff in 2013.
This year the program is being run by myself, Dinah Steele, as Beth Hurford has taken a leave of absence. I am delighted to fill her shoes and continue the excellent work she has done engaging all of you wonderful volunteers!
I’ll start by pointing you in the direction of the BEST calendar of events, which is the best way to find out about upcoming Living Streets events to attend.
With the 2014 season well underway, I thought it would be worthwhile to update you all on the progress that has been made since our final event of 2013. I recently received word from Megan Fitzgerald, City of Surrey Transportation Planner, that many of the issues identified in your street audits have already been processed and addressed!
I hope you find the following list inspiring as none of these changes would have been possible without your help!
List of updates from Megan based on 2013 audit report:
1. Sidewalk constructed at 113 Ave and 136 St.
2. Crosswalk repainted at 137 St. and 72 Ave
3. Blind corner developed for safety at 127 St and 15A Ave
4. Damaged fencing repaired at 108 Ave and 135A St
5. Replaced crosswalk signals at 132 Div and King George Blvd.
6. Illegal dumping noted and “do not dump refuse” sign installed at 132 St and 110 Ave
7. Crosswalk warrants have been requested for the following locations:
- 101 Ave / 154 St
- 112 Ave / 138 St
- 108 Ave / 133St
- Gateway Drive between University Drive and City Parkway, mid-block
8. Garbage cans requested at the following locations:
- 135A St south of 108 Ave
- At KGB and University DR
9. Request made to replace damaged drainage grate at 13846 Hansen Drive
10. Increased pedestrian crossing time requested at the following locations:
- 108 Ave / KGB
- University Dr / KGB
- 72 Ave / 138 St
Megan concluded her email by saying
“Thanks for bringing these items to our attention. Your team of volunteers are also welcome to report problems like streetlight outages, damaged traffic signs, potholes, and request road maintenance at http://www.surrey.ca/city-services/667.aspx, year-round.”
Thank you so much for your invested time and energies and I look forward to working with you all again soon. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you are interested in completing another audit form as I am happy to send them your way!